Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Autumn is Officially Here

Mid-September is the turning point for weather here in Northeastern Ohio, and it's time to get ready for the colder weather. Out come the sweaters, jackets and comfortable clothing that has been stored away. Flannel, fleece, microfiber, and all the softest of the soft are great for wearing here at home, since I don't need to go anywhere to work (self-employed). It's a good time to clean the Summer things and put them away.

It's a great time of year for making pies. I'm gearing up to make a homemade peach pie this week. I've been so busy working that I haven't had time to have much in the way of fun, so it will be relaxing to get in the kitchen and bake. Nothing smells better than baking peach pie, with a little lemon and cinnamon added to the homemade filling. I snack on raspberries, bought at a local Amish market, they are better than any candy and actually nutritious. Though I can't fully turn off my sweet tooth, eating fruit curbs my appetite, as does Hummus. This year mom and I didn't do our annual elderberry picking, we both weren't in the mood to slog around in swampy terrain to get them, but did find an elderberry pie, sold by the Amish, that tasted nearly identical to our homemade elderberry pies. I had one small piece and it was like Heaven to me.



The gardens are looking happy with this cooler weather. My morning glories are blooming like crazy, reaching high up the front post, to the top and beyond. I don't deadhead the old flowers since they are annuals, and I want seeds for next year. Next year I plan to plant more Morning Glories and make a bigger display of color on those posts. The Cypress Vine didn't do so well, it has bloomed but in a very lackluster way. I collected some seeds off of it and will not use it to cover large areas next year, it only grew 1/2 way up the other front post. But in all, my plants have done very well this year. Plus, the new ones that I'd planted have had time to establish themselves so next year they can come back bigger and fuller. My roses need protecting from the cold, so I will be putting mulch around them before the bitter cold comes. They have done well, the pink ones have been daily displays of bright color, and the red ones (Mr.Lincoln variety) have recovered completely from the rust they had on them when they were given to me. Mom's are doing fine, too. They are finished blooming and are just leafing now, but look good.

My home business has been very demanding, so I have been busy designing wrapping paper and other items for my stores. It's fun, I like doing it all, but must take breaks now and then so I don't get exhausted or overwhelmed. The cats pile near me here in the office. When it's time to work for me, it's time to snooze for them. Being a cat is hard work. With the stereo on and a fresh pot of coffee by my side, my little marathons are productive. I get in "the zone" and just go for it, from morning until night. Sometimes I think about having a social life again, but will have to fit it in between my crazy work schedule. I like being alone, but not TOO much, then it's a bit lonely.

The sun is streaming in the windows as I sit here, typing. The red-bellied woodpecker likes to look at me from the tree next to one of my windows. He's a fun, loud bird who comes to my feeders daily, along with the many goldfinches, downy woodpeckers and a pair of white-bellied nuthatches. As it gets colder, there will be more and more bird action at the feeders. I put hoods on the main feeders, to keep snow off of them, and stocked up on suet.

Time to get back to work now. Lots to do, and cats to feed. I'm having sweet corn for dinner, nice and simple when I'm in work mode. Life is good.


A lovely old church near my house

No comments:

Post a Comment